Saturday, April 14, 2012

All-Purpose Sambal (Hot Sauce)


Whenever I wanted to have spicy Indonesian-Malaysian food, I dreaded the troublesome that I had to take to make hot sauce prior to cooking. My mom happened to visit me last Fall and suggested that I should make a big batch and freeze the hot sauce. Wait...why didn't I even think of that? So I managed to buy a bag of red hot chilis from farmer's market and made this hot sauce. I have to agree with mom that now I can whip up authentic Indonesian-Malaysian dishes in minutes. A big thank you to mom! This sauce can be used in soups, noodles, stir-fry dishes and many more! Stay tune to check out more recipes with my all-purpose sambal!

Skill Level: Easy

INGREDIENTS:
  • 250 g fresh red hot chilis
  • 8 shallots, peeled
  • 3 garlic cloves, peeled
  • 1 tomato 
  • Water
  • 1 tbsp salt 
  • 5 tbsp cooking oil
METHOD:
  1. In a saucepan, cover all ingredients with water and boil for 20 minutes, covered
  2. Drain the water and put all ingredients in a food processor, blend for 10 to 15 seconds
  3. In a cooking pan, heat up cooking oil and add in the chili paste 
  4. Saute under low heat for 5 minutes, add salt 
  5. Cook for another 10 minutes and store in freezer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Your Comment Here!